In a message dated 12/7/02 10:18:33 PM !!!First Boot!!!, [log in to unmask] writes:

>I would presume Eliot accepts (implicitly or explicitly) the concept
>of a "middle class" (I don't, but that's not immediately relevant),
>and if he does, how does he relate himself to that class?

Yes, Eliot accepts the cncept of a middle class.

Did you note, Rickard, that Mr. Cox makes the silly comment that he doesn't accept the concept of the middle class.  I wonder if he has visited or even seen on tv countries without a middle class.  It's not a pretty sight.  Countries without a middle class have a few rich people and masses of poor, uneducated people. As for Eliot, I believe that although he accepted the concept of a middle class and realized the need for it, it being the world's greatest chance for stability, he also disdained it, not because he was a snob, but as he also believed that the reality of the "middle class" while bringing this stability, would change culture . . for the worse, in his opinion.   Art, music, literature would all become more and more mediocre and vulgar.