[log in to unmask] writes:

> >I would presume Eliot accepts (implicitly or explicitly) the concept
> >of a "middle class" (I don't, but that's not immediately relevant),
> >and if he does, how does he relate himself to that class?
>
> Yes, Eliot accepts the cncept of a middle class.

Did you note, Rickard, that Mr. Cox makes the silly comment that he doesn't
accept the concept of the middle class.  I wonder if he has visited or even
seen on tv countries without a middle class.  It's not a pretty sight.
Countries without a middle class have a few rich people and masses of poor,
uneducated people. As for Eliot, I believe that although he accepted the
concept of a middle class and realized the need for it, it being the world's
greatest chance for stability, he also disdained it, not because he was a
snob, but as he also believed that the reality of the "middle class" while
bringing this stability, would change culture . . for the worse, in his
opinion.   Art, music, literature would all become more and more mediocre and
vulgar.