From: <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Friday, December 06, 2002 3:11 PM
Subject: Re: OT: Canada and Vietnam (was, Marianne Moore poem in WWII)

> > From: Nancy Gish [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
> >
> > I really don't think you can blame feminism for Condi Rice any more than
> > you could praise masculism for Martin Luther King or Gandhi or Viet Nam
> > objectors who went to Canada.
> >

> I think your grouping of these latter three together overlooks an
important point.

> ML King and Gandhi fought repressive systems from within through passive
resistance, which included accepting the punishment meted out by the
oppressors and using that punishment to illustrate the injustice of what was
being done.  Those who went to Canada to avoid the Vietnam draft -- whatever
their degree of principle, which presumably varied -- were engaging in
something different.  Muhammad Ali would be the better example to complete
your triad, as he remained in the country and thus remained subject to the
law he was challenging (and was ultimately vindicated, albeit on dubious
technical grounds unworthy of the principle he was standing for.)  That's my
view of it, anyway.