Dear List,

Yesterday a reader of my website sent me a message and recommended a
book she was reading, "Small World" by David Lodge.  I looked it up
on the web and it looks like it will be a fun read for many of us.
It is a comedy about academics going from conference to conference
in a sort of grail quest.  The author includes a lot of Eliot in
it from what I've read about it.

It starts out with a parody of Chaucer:
    When April with its sweet showers has pierced the drought of March to
    the root, and bathed every vein of earth with that liquid by whose
    power the flowers are engendered;
but more of the prologue can be read at
    http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~min/books/lodge_smallw.html

An interview with the author can be found at
    http://www.lib.rochester.edu/camelot/intrvws/lodge.htm

Regards,
    Rick Parker