Date sent:              Mon, 23 Dec 2002 17:22:54 +0100
From:                   Sara Trevisan <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                OT: Undergraduates (+TSE)
To:                     [log in to unmask]

Dear Harm Tron,

You are not the only undergraduate on the list. I am an undergraduate
student myself, at the University of Padova (Italy).

Yes -- I like it best when there's some TSE-related debate on the list,
like you do. But there is no reason to talk that way to a person you don't
even know, only because she is a professor and you are not. What is this?
A sort of adolescent rebellion against the estabilished order? I am sure
that you would never speak like that to any professor of yours in Berkeley
-- they would kick you out in a moment. It's very much of a sign of
covetousness, I'd say.

There is no reason to offend. This is just a mailing list, but the fact
that people cannot see each other must not imply lack of respect. I hate
such emails as yours more than political debates.

Anyway -- going back to TSE -- I'd have a question. Did TSE know Marlowe's
poems well? I've just read Hero and Leander -- the lines when Leander is
almost drowned by Neptune and is driven to the bottom of the sea just
reminded me about TSE's final lines in Prufrock. I know the mermaids were
taken from Donne's Song, but I couldn't help noticing a similarity with
Marlowe, at least in the way of describing the bottom of the sea -- as if
it were a cameo.

Sara --