Date sent:              Fri, 20 Dec 2002 02:44:21 -0800
From:                   Peter Montgomery <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                Madame Sosostris
To:                     [log in to unmask]

I find myself questioning the theory that
Madame S. is based on a similarly named character
in Huxley's Chrome Yellow. If the novel came
out in 1921 but Eliot wrote "Burial of the Dead"
in the first part of 1921, wouldn't Eliot's wrk
have come first?

Also, Rickard, your note on this in "Exploring"
says nothing about "had a bad cold" as being
slang for a case of gonorrhea.

Thanks for any opinions/information.

Cheers,
Peter