Date sent:              Sun, 8 Dec 2002 17:07:00 EST
From:                   Kate Troy <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                Re: OT British politics (was Thatcher)
To:                     [log in to unmask]

[log in to unmask] writes:

> .  I don't think
> she was or that she was generally beloved by middle class women.  So
> what I meant to do was make the point that her 12 years did not mean she
> was ever a majority favorite among women or anyone else.
>
> Was she?
>
> I don't think there is any comparison between Le Pen and either Labour
> or the Lib-Dems.  Surely that must be obvious.  Neither is or was a
> radical extremist party, and in fact the Lib-Dems have been very
> centrist on many issues all along.

Well, to stay in power for 12 years, some middle class people must have
liked her a bit or believed that she was doing a decent job, at any rate.
Yes, there is a great difference between their system of government and
ours, but I wouldn't call the Lib-Dems centrists.  They are, in fact, very
liberal.
 They are extremely pro-Europe and in fact, would adopt the Euro in a
heartbeat, whereas Labour has consistently stated that Britain will not
adopt the Euro without a general referendum of the people.  Labour is
almost completely centrist, which is why they won so decisively in the
last couple of elections.  Back to Thatcher, it was actually the Tories
who had hand in bringing about her downfall from power.