I was living in London at the time Thatcher first won.  She did not receive a
majority by any means.  What happened was that the Lib-Dems broke off
from Labour and the non-Thatcher vote was split.  To my knowledge she
never won a majority in her 12 years.  As I remember, she won 41% that
first time--Jimmy Carter was assumed to have destroyed Democrats on
that percentage, and she was assumed to have triumphed on that
percentage.  And interestingly she never won Scotland.  Part of Scottish
anger that built up during those years was the rule they never chose, and
that helped lead to the new Parliament.  I went to Edinburgh for the vote on
the Parliament and tax-raising powers, and one of the most interesting
(and comic) aspects of it was that Thatcher went up to Scotland late on
election day to urge them to vote against it, largely on the grounds it would
increase taxes.  Meanwhile, Scots were being interviewed on TV and
asked if they thought thier taxes would rise, and they said "yes."  Then
they asked if they planned to vote for it, and they said "yes."  I kept
thinking at the time that absolutely nothing could have helped the
"yes/yes" vote more than Thatcher running up there to urge Scots not to.
She was pretty generally hated in Scotland.
Nancy