From: INGELBIEN RAPHAEL
> Actually, I'm under the impression that much of middle class
> womanhood in th UK was more than happy with her, esp. because
> of how she kept the patriarchy in its place, and let ordinary
> people get on with the business of the nation. The fact that
> ordinary at that time didn't equate with left wing may be
> puzzling to some outsiders from certain nations.

Both 'middle-class' and 'ordinary' simplify British society
at that time - or, for that matter, any kind of society.
If I understand what you mean by 'ordinary', I'll add that
for much of 20th century, the Tories managed to attract the
votes of many 'ordinary' people. They seem to have lost that
ability in 1997.
As I said, "I'm under the impression...". Thanks muchly for
the clarifications. Inevitably one gets generalisations
from the media that are quite inaccurate, but still
remain pointers as to what's going on.

Cheers,
Peter