How about his mother?
Cheers,
Peter

-----Original Message-----
From: Nancy Gish
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: 12/1/02 9:01 PM
Subject: Re: Eliot and Women

I've no idea who you mean but I'm naming the ones I intend.
Nancy

Date sent:              Sun, 1 Dec 2002 16:10:43 -0800
From:                   Peter Montgomery <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                Eliot and Women
To:                     [log in to unmask]

From: Nancy Gish
Eliot clearly liked women; he said at one
point to Aiken (I think) that he was very dependent on their company. He
had women friends all his life and in some cases was very emotionally
intimate with them--Mary Trevelyan for example.  But that is quite
separate from his belief that with rare exceptions they could not write
poetry and his preference for keeping them out of publication.  His
championing of Marianne Moore and--at one time but not consistently--
Djuna
Barnes are presented by him as clear exceptions to a general rule.
forgetting
someone.

Cheers,
Peter.