I can see the royal time Elio would have had
with Canadian politics had they been worthy
of his notice. In mid-Nineteenth Century,
the Province of Canada had a Liberal-Conservative
party. For most of the 20th Century, Canada has
had a Progressive-Conservative party (a union of
the Progressives and Conservatives, of course).
Nonetheless, whenever Canuck commentators try
to explain Canuck politics to Yanks, the conversation
always begins with, the most conservative party n
Canada is a universe to the left of the most
liberal party in the US. On the other hand, there
is the Monarchist league of Canada which fights
as fiercely for the preservation of the Monarchy
as most of its members do for preservation of the
national health system.

No wonder so many Canadians wrap themseles in the
Stars and Stripes to go south and entertain, cajole
and otherwise inform those southern folk.

Cheers,
Peter.

Dr. Peter C. Montgomery
Dept. of English