From: Wordsmith [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, December 12, 2002 9:12 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: A.Word.A.Day--katzenjammer

katzenjammer (KAT-sen-jam-uhr) noun

   1. Hangover

   2. Distress; depression.

   3. Confusion; clamor; uproar.

[From German, from Katzen (plural of Katze, cat) + Jammer (distress,
wailing).]

  "Peebles, in his rejoinder, compared the intense activity in cosmology
   over the last few years to `a really good party.' But he also listed open
   questions that, he said, left him with an `uneasy feeling'--a kind of
   cosmic katzenjammer--about whether the concordance will survive new and
   more precise tests."
   James Glanz, Cosmology: Does Science Know the Vital Statistics of the
   Cosmos? Science (Washington, DC), Nov 13, 1998.

  "The characteristic Grimm story has a katzenjammer irreverence and a
   narrative urgency; its characters are no better than they have to be, and
   are foxy, wild, lucky or unlucky, and utterly human."
   Arthur C. Danto, Maurice Sendak and a Tale Not Quite Grimm Enough,
   The Washington Post, Nov 6, 1988.

This week's theme: words from the major source languages of English.

Sponsored by Think Right Now! International: DEPRESSED? ANXIOUS?
UNMOTIVATED?
If your willpower & persistence always fizzle out, see the new paradigm in
personal growth. http://mcssl.com/app/adtrack.asp?AdID=17954

AND
Stone and Scott ( http://StoneandScott.com ), who offer STOOPNAGLE'S TALE IS
TWISTED by Keen James. Book includes "Beeping Sleauty" and 42 more
spoonerized
tales.

We choose our joys and sorrows long before we experience them. -Kahlil
Gibran, mystic, poet, and artist (1883-1931)

"A banquet of words!" -Richard Lederer, author of The Miracle of Language
"A refreshing approach to words." -John Simpson, Chief Editor, the OED
"Now at last here's a feast." -Barbara Wallraff, senior editor, Atlantic
Monthly
 The Book: http://amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0471230324/ws00-20/

Pronunciation:
http://wordsmith.org/words/katzenjammer.wav