From: Frances Rushworth [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, December 06, 2002 4:18 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Thatcher, feminism, etc.

So ordinary here is to be equated with majority.  Women, being able to
exercise their franchise, must bear equal responsibility for their elected
leaders.  As an ordinary middle class woman in London, it was not my
impression that Mrs Thatcher enjoyed general support.  But then, also being
one who swung from lampposts shouting 'Maggie, Maggie, Maggie, Out! Out!
Out!' in an enthusiastic, if fruitless attempt at protest, I clearly didn't
share the majority perspective.  Strange how difficult it was to find anyone
among my middle class contemporaries who admitted to voting for her.  The
secret shame of the ballot box?
Cheers,
Fran