Sara,

  I think you could say that for Eliot, death was a live issue. To analyze
its use in the poetry without that sense is, I believe, to miss its import.
With all due respect to John and Carrol, romanticism and punctuation don't
touch it.  Check "Whispers of Immortality" and "Journey of the Magi." What
is at stake is more than poetic tools, traits, and trends.

Ken Armstrong