One of the definitive documents is Andreas Capellanus'
[Andrew the Chaplain's] THE ART OF COURTLY LOVE, whose
title is more accurately translated THE ART OF HONEST
[or HONOURABLE]LOVE ("De Arte Honeste amandi"). He wrote
it at the request of Marie de Champagne. It portrays the
court of E de A. Marie and Eleanor are closely associated
in the development and legislation of the rules for love
at court. I'm no expert. I could well believe there are
other contributing and complicating factors.

I gather the term courtly love is more of a 19th century
appelation, which certainly doesn't surprise me.

I guess I like Eleanor the best because she made the idea
of people honouring and respecting their realities (how-
ever they might violate their social formulae) fun! It is
robust and alive and enjoyable. Most of the modern legslators
of women's issues are so deadly serious and deadly dull.

Cheers,
Peter.

Dr. Peter C. Montgomery
Dept. of English