Dear Sara, why are you so prim? are you tryin to make contacts so you can get a Job as a Nice Prof. How boring u are you kissin the ass of authority how can u speak this way to a fellow student and kiss the ass of these dead beats of profs. U know how long they been controlling Eliot and his poems, how long this shit has been going down.

ELiot needs a kick in the pants

so dont grovel in front of the authority of these second rate teachers in the list.

they are sexist.

and racist

and are working for the CIA!!

Joe Strummer died and that is what counts

 Sara Trevisan <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Dear Harm Tron,

You are not the only undergraduate on the list. I am an undergraduate student myself, at the University of Padova (Italy).

Yes -- I like it best when there's some TSE-related debate on the list, like you do. But there is no reason to talk that way to a person you don't even know, only because she is a professor and you are not. What is this? A sort of adolescent rebellion against the estabilished order? I am sure that you would never speak like that to any professor of yours in Berkeley -- they would kick you out in a moment. It's very much of a sign of covetousness, I'd say.

There is no reason to offend. This is just a mailing list, but the fact that people cannot see each other must not imply lack of respect. I hate such emails as yours more than political debates.

Anyway -- going back to TSE -- I'd have a question. Did TSE know Marlowe's poems well? I've just read Hero and Leander -- the lines when Leander is almost drowned by Neptune and is driven to the bottom of the sea just reminded me about TSE's final lines in Prufrock. I know the mermaids were taken from Donne's Song, but I couldn't help noticing a similarity with Marlowe, at least in the way of describing the bottom of the sea -- as if it were a cameo.

Sara --