Dear List serve members,

IS appropriate if it concerns birds, birding, feeding, trips, or anything
related to birds, their habitat, well being, or future (which includes
conservation material), etc.

I guess I too am at fault for reporting the male Harlequin duck in Illinois
last winter (only 1/4 mile from Missouri--across the Mississippi river).
HOWEVER, I would have been very disappointed to find out AFTER the bird was
gone that I could have had a LIFE bird so close to home, and yet it was
deemed 'inappropriate material' for this list serve (because it was in
Illinois).  I do not check bordering states rare bird alerts on a daily
basis, but I do receive these postings (sometimes hourly). Perhaps someone
who reads the posts would LOVE to drive to Colorado for an Arctic Loon.

I feel that other states' birds are appropriate (I have journeyed many hours
to add a life bird to my list), as are out-of-state trips, etc.  If someone
is not interested in a particular subject, that is what the delete button is
for.  Besides, maybe someone might just THINK they aren't interested, yet
something piques their curiosity.  (Remember how we ask our children to just
take a 'taste' of a new food?)  There are areas of the state I am not
particularly interested in, but someone else might find a life bird within
five miles of home.

Anyway, I think that everyone who subscribes is extremely knowledgeable,
exceptionally bright, and can judge what is of interest to Missouri birders.
This membership ranges from executives to university professors--let's TRUST
one another.  And remember, if you find something that doesn't interest you,
just delete it.  It may be exactly what someone else was looking for!

Happy Birding,

Deb Priest
Hannibal, MO