I recall a post in the last month or so about a Poor-will in Missouri.

While cleaning out my office, I recently came upon BIRDS OF THE KANSAS CITY AREA by Rising, Pucci, Johnson and Dawson (Burroughs Audubon Society, 1978), which compiles bird records in and around Kansas City, including those listed in Harry Harris' comprehensive work, BIRDS OF THE KANSAS CITY REGION (1919).  According to Rising, et al., Harris, in turn, evidently refers to someone named Bush in saying of Poor-will, "Formerly found near Swope Park, Jackson Co., Mo." If such triple hearsay can be said to be reliable, Poor-will was formerly a resident in my part of our state.

Evidently, a lot of the area around Kansas City was previously tallgrass prairie, which could have provided appropriate habitat for Poor-wills. Agriculture, suppression of fire and, more recently, development changed its character, so that the prairie is no longer recogizable, and it is difficult to imagine Poor-wills ever breeding near Kansas City.

Rising et al. go on to cite several more recent records of the species in Eastern Kansas, including one calling May 7, 1969 at Camp Towanyak, Wyandotte County, KS, a relatively short distance from the Missouri line.

Poor-wills are still common breeders on the Konza Prairie, near Manhattan Kansas, and in the Flint Hills, west of Emporia, 100-150 miles west of the Missouri/Kansas state line.

Bob Fisher
Independence, Missouri