on 11.16.02 Patrick Harrison wrote:

> My wife and I use a pair of Motorola TalkAbout T6200.

Those are the standard model people use. There are other models with other
features.
To get a side-by-side description of them, try the website: www.cabelas.com
Major hunting catalog. Good for description, but prices are WAY too
expensive.
Bet Motorola has a website or maybe do a www.google.com search.

> As to how FRS radios in general compare with regard to RANGE, THAT is a
> good question.

Over water or where you are at the highest point with little obstructions
(except at REDA for some reason), they can carry for some mileage. But the
"usual range" is 2 miles.

> Sometimes when on birding trips, I hear some people say that they don't
> hear all the messages that are being broadcast.
>
> Someone with a different radio standing next to them will receive a
> transmission, but their's won't?
>
> Not sure if this is related to Quality or something else.

Think this is due to the level of remaining battery juice.
If it's low, sometimes transmission can be spotty.
They do eat the batteries up.......but we use them a lot.

Good thing to put on your Christmas wish list. :-)

Charlene Malone
Chesterfeild, MO