REDA is not the only place this type of harassment of birders happens.  I
always make sure I have my cell phone charged up and always have an escape
route in mind, especially since I bird by myself here in the anhydrous theft
capital of the state.  Some parts of our county are extremely isolated (3 or
4 people sq./mi.) so it makes sense to be prepared for anything.  I have had
people pull up along side me and block my vision with their vehicle and one
even made a gun with his hand, like little kids do, and acted like he was
shooting me with it. I had my then 15-year-old daughter with me when that
happened. He took off pretty fast when I picked up the phone.  That was only
about three miles from town and there were no buildings visible that he
could be concerned that I was looking at his place.

Anyway, it behooves all of us to be alert to what is happening around us, no
matter where we are or how engrossed we may be in the birds.

Dorothy Lambert, Nevada, Vernon County