  From: David Rogles
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Tuesday, November 05, 2002 4:17 PM
  Subject: Rough-legged Hawk, St. Charles Co.

        MoBirders,
        While out and about today:

        At Highway V, one quarter mile west of M.Beckett Road, I had a Rough-legged Hawk, very dark phase. The back half of the head and neck was WHITE (perhaps mottled dark-wind was blowing) and the breast was flecked white above the traditional belly band. The bird was entirely dark; when it flew it showed a light grayish banded tail.Wings to end of tail on perched bird.

        At REDA- 10 SURF SCOTERS (7 at the upper end of the Lock and Dam and at the same time, 3 in Ellis near the pit toilet point); 28 Horned Grebes (I had 16 more Horned Grebes at Creve Coeur Lake); 60+ Hooded Mergansers, 6 Red-breasted Mergansers, 1 Belted Kingfisher.

        At the backyard: one chipping sparrow among the usual suspects.

        Good birding
        David Rogles
        St. Charles County