November 4, 2002
Today while heading for Engler Park and the Dr. F.R. Crouch Nature Sanctuary, I saw a Common Nighthawk skittering along, diving to the right and left only about 4 feet off the ground.  As I watched it dived into some tall weeds and disappeared.  I thought this was very unusual behavior even for a late late nighthawk.  Checking with Robbins and Easterla, I found that the very latest nighthawk reported in Missouri was also in Farmington on Nov. 14, 1987, by Steve Dilks.      Bob Lewis   [log in to unmask]