Since today is November 1st, most ruby-throated hummingbirds can be expected to have long since migrated south.  However, migration appears to have been delayed this year due to a late spring in northern states and other factors.  To help me better understand the fall migration pattern, I would be interested in hearing from anyone who still has a hummingbird anywhere in Missouri.

Additionally, if you do have a hummingbird, this is a good time to scrutinize them closely to make sure they are truly ruby-throated hummingbirds, and not one of the other species from the western states.  If there is any sign of red or orange in the tail feathers, it is probably another species.  Some ruby-throated hummingbirds will show a light buffy color on the sides, but red/orange in the tail is diagnostic of another species.  As always, I'd appreciate hearing all reports of non-ruby-throated hummingbirds throughout the state.

Please respond to me privately to prevent clutter on the list!

Troy Gordon
Columbia, MO

Info on Missouri hummingbirds with links to my hummingbird research:
http://www.missouri.edu/~gordonm/mohummers.htm