My Board president was here today and he brought two nests that he
discovered while cleaning his property.  They are gorgeous! He wanted to
know if I could identify them (he has a lofty impression of my skills in
this area!). One we were able to identify as a cardinal nest.  The other one
is very intriguing.   It was in a cedar tree(branches still attached - as it
is snuggily wedged in the thin branches - but the branches are not woven
into, or adhered to the nest); it is about 6" X 6" X 3 thick" (kind of
"boxy" looking rather than circular, but that might be distorted because of
the branches), it is completely covered with an entrance hole on the side,
and your "pointing" finger just barely fits in the hole.  It is made with
dried grasses, but inside does feel like it is lined with feathers or
something soft.  There is also
like a 2" projection (knob, handle) that sticks out right next to the entry
hole, perhaps might be an escape hatch, but it is starting to get bumped
around a little, so hard to tell.  Must be a smaller bird, like warbler or
maybe vireo.  I am very curious!  Anybody an expert on nests, so I can
REALLY impress my boss!
Jean Leonatti
Boone County
P.S. oh, the nest was on property near Potosi, MO (Washington County); I
forgot to ask how high up off the ground it was.