Thanks to Jim Zellmer for advertising my field trip. But please note it is Saturday, November 9th, not November 11th.

Unfortunately, I can't promise Long Eared Owls. They have been at the area we are going to every year for many years now, but we usually get them on a February trip. We have not yet had them on the November trip. In as much as they have been seen by the few people who go there in December, we'll try anyway.

Chances are pretty good for Smith's Longspurs. I've only  missed them once in many tries, and I forget whether that was a spring or fall trip. Nevertheless, November 9 will be my earliest fall BAS field trip to Lyon County State Lake. I have usually gone between November 13 and November 18th.

There are, of course, lots of other things to see besides Smith's Longspurs and Long-eared Owls. It usually is a great trip.

Pray for decent weather.

Bob Fisher
Independence, Missouri