Doris Fitchett and I checked out the refuge this
morning.  Lots of waterfowl, but
nothing unsual.  Most surprising thing we saw was a
Great Egret standing on the ice
south of Pershing State Park on the way down.  Also we
saw more that 30 Great Blue
Herons still at Swan Lake.  Most of them standing on
muskrat houses.  Guess the water
was too cold.  We must have seen 15 Redtail Hawks on
the refuge, including 1 Harlan's

Heather had posted a waterfowl count from Oct. 30.  To
show how fast things can
change, there were no Snow Geese on the list.  Today
we saw upwards of 100,000 !!
Also we only saw 7 Pelicans.

From Heather's list:
Canada Goose -290 -  very low
Total Ducks -81,806
Mallards - 46,700
Pintal -12,340
N. Shoveler - 1760
Ring-necked Duck 8501 !! this may be record high
number
Blue-winged Teal -2940
Green-winged Teal -4900
Gadwall -2350
Unknown Duck -2250
Am. Coot -2684
Bald Eagle -6
N. Harrier -9
We also saw more L Scaup, Bufflehead, and other
divers.

Later,
Steve Kinder
Chillicothe, Livingston Co