From Tom K:

> If you don't object to giving props to the Bolsheviks and Rosa Luxumberg,
it's hard to see your
> objection to doing the same for the Irish revolutionaries.

I was only taking Ireland as an example. I admit I sometimes have a soft
spot for Luxemburg, but you won't catch me saying that the Bolsheviks'
attitude in the war only reflected their high-minded pacifist principles.

> the "honor" was in taking a stand against a powerful entity that they
considered oppressive, under
circumstances where their chances for success (in any conventional sense)
or survival were extremely dim <

Call it honour if you must. With regard to the Easter Rising, some would
call it foolishness, irresponsible behaviour, or a morbid fascination with
martyrdom - the sort of mindset that makes suicide bombers feel good about
blowing themselves up and taking civilians with them.

Or maybe 'honour' is the real problem. In the context of war, it's hard to
see how 'honour' can remain uncontaminated by the macho, chauvinistic,
bellicose associations the term has in army propaganda.

Did Eliot ever refer to 'honour' much?

Yours,

RaphaŽl