From: INGELBIEN RAPHAEL [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Saturday, November 30, 2002 8:23 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: OT: Thatcher (was Marianne Moore...)

From Nancy:

> Margaret Thatcher does
> not have feminism to thank anymore than did Indira Gandhi or Elizabeth I.

Thatcher was not grateful to feminism, but she did owe a debt to it.
Elizabeth owed her position to heredity, Gandhi to a mixture of heredity and
brains. Thatcher's political career was an individual choice. And it was
certainly helped, however indirectly, by the advances that feminism had made
by the 1960s and 1970s.

From Carroll
> And how do you know she didn't let men make her decisions for her? All
> her decisions were more or less anti-woman,

She certainly listened to male advisers (e.g. Keith Joseph), but most people
would find it hard to believe that she was just a puppet in the hands of
powerful men operating behind the scenes. All in all, she was extremely
opinionated, and far less consensual than most British prime ministers.

> and all conservative men thought her decisions quite correct.

A brief list of some who didn't would include: Harold Macmillan, Edward
Heath, Francis Pym, Jim Prior, Michael Heseltine, Geoffrey Howe. To them,
she was or became Terror Incarnate - and some of them paid dearly for daring
to stand up to her.

Eliot, a conservative mind, would probably have been horrified at the way
she transformed the Tory party - though he didn't always vote conservative.
Jeffrey Perl and others mention that he voted Labour in 1945.

Yours,

RaphaŽl