Peter,

    Thanks, I'm no expert on Eliot (yet); that's why I feel compelled to
assist in other peripheral ways. Some documentation that would be
helpful on minstrels and minstrel shows:

For a quick intro., two related sources to look at are the PBS documentary
series American Experience, the installment on song writer Stephen Foster.
There's a lot of material on the history of minstrels and the musical connection
to Foster. AND PBS has material that connects to the program on its web site.
The url for the Foster home page is www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/foster/index.html;
the online material includes some history of minstrel shows, a bio. of
Edward Christy (founder of both the Virginia and Christy Minstrels),
various scholars giving info. and details, and a "further reading"
section. They list a book that I have read and know to be a good
general study: Blacking Up: The Minstrel Show in Nineteenth Century