tambo and bones were key players in a minstrel
show, a type of vaudevillian (sp?) act where
white performers painted their faces black,
outlined their facial features with white
and parodied numerous southern slave
rituals, including dancing along to the rattling
of bones.

this type of thing is almost never performed
anymore because of its obvious racial
insensitivity, but it needs to be studied
more to see what we can learn about
race relations at the beginning of the 20th
century, as well as those bits of southern
culture which made it to the north.