Since I don't know anything about WNV in birds other than raptors, I
checked with Dr Bermudez at the Diagnostic Lab here at the vet school.
Below is his reply to me. On another note, to those of you who attended
the Columbia Audubon meeting last week: I stated that we had 4 birds in
the hospital with WNV (3 GHO, 1 RTH) and 4 birds whose tests were
pending (3 RTH, 1 GHO). All 4 did, in fact, test positive. Of that
second group, two of the RTH have died, and the other two are doing
well. That makes our current positive count: 4 GHO, 3 RTH.

Also, I mentioned that blindness has been "an issue" with some of the
birds who have recovered throughout the US, but that there isn't enough
research to say anything more on that. One of our GHO is recovering
nicely with the exception of its eyesight. Well, it seems that the bird
is showing some response in both his eyes, so we're now hoping that it
will make a full recovery.
Kristen Cage
Raptor Rehabilitation Project

Kristen

We have found that a variety of passerine species are susceptible to
WNV.   My data base of birds positive for West Nile virus is very biased
because the Missouri Department of health only pays for blue jays,
crows, and raptors (as these are certainly the most susceptible species
and the best sentinel animals).  In a brief review of my records I only
had one house finch submitted and it was negative for WNV.  Other
species that have died of WNV infection in MO are the eastern bluebird,
yellow billed cuckoo, Chickadee (not sure which), house sparrow, and the
purple martin.  I have heard that the species list for WNV in the USA
includes 120 species so it is quite likely that a broad range of
Missouri birds are susceptible for which I have not received samples.  I
do not have a really good idea of the impact of WNV on wild bird
populations and was hoping that the winter Audubon count might shed some
light on that question.

It costs $28.33 to do a WNV workup on a dead bird if anyone has a great
desire to test a bird they find.  In these economic times I have no way
of doing this work for free.