Do scoters generally associate closely with diving ducks (i.e. among rafts),
or are they usually found off on their own?

My own limited experience gives me a mixed answer: The first scoter I had, a
female Black Scoter at Watkins Mill in the spring, was diving and resting
with a male Greater Scaup. My next scoters, the two Surf Scoters last spring
at Lake Jacomo, were keeping to themselves--although there were goldeneye
nearby.

I predict this will generate a "you never know" answer, but I'm always
interested to learn what more experienced folks have to offer. Something to
think about on a cold, rainy day...

Kristi Mayo
Kearney, MO (Clay Co.)