We had the Winter Wren near the northwest corner of Lake Remote. Just stay on
the path closest to the pond. The wren has been seen in the area where there
are a few little hills in the path, near where the spit of land juts out into
the pond.

For those who aren't familiar with this spot, the area we are talking about
is the Lake Remote Nature Area and Trails, located on the north side of the
spillway below the dam at Smithville Lake. There is a huge white sign near
the entrance to the trails that says "Trails open to the public" that is
easily seen from the road over the dam.

There are lots of trails running through hilly, wooded area. At its center is
a good-sized pond (Lake Remote) that Hooded Mergansers enjoy. Maps are posted
at the entrance. I haven't spent much time there, having only discovered it
last spring (which, I think is when the area opened), but this fall I have
gotten the Winter Wren and a Spotted Towhee there (both on the trail closest
to the pond). There is lots more to be explored!

Kristi Mayo
Kearney, MO (Clay Co.)