LeConte's Sparrows were fairly numerous at Bradford Farms
this morning - but what was really delightful is that they
were very "curious" this morning, giving good views, some
too close for binoculars!  It was a drizzly, cool morning
with little wind.  The crew that went out around 8a found
good numbers with good views.  As I was leaving around 9:15,
the Bathke's showed up so I took them back to the site.
Birds were in same location but came in even closer to us.
It was like they were fluttering down around us like
snowflakes!  (At one point, Joyce was focused on a LeConte's
about 10 feet away and one fluttered in within 4 feet of
her!)

We also had a Sedge Wren within 3 feet, Swamp and Savannah
Sparrows.  A Western Meadowlark was vocalizing, along with
Eastern Meadowlarks, Horned Larks, and Killdeer.  White
Crowned and Throated Sparrows were in the brushpile. Harrier
Hawk was working some of the fields.

To get to the area, come in the east entrance to Bradford
Farms.  Follow the main gravel road to the end of all the
metal work buildings.    There is a small mud/gravel cross
road.  Turn left (south).  Go almost to end of this road,
and you will see two stands of tall native grasses to the
left (east) of you.  The two stands are divided by a wide,
mowed fescue path.  The native grass on the right (south) of
the green path had all the LeConte's in it.  Fairly easy to
walk through, and just about smack in the middle of the
native grass plot were some tall dark brown "weeds" (maybe
5-10 stalks) - very obvious in the middle of the native
grasses - the LeConte's seemed to be using those as perches.
When we walked back down the fescue path to get to our cars,
the LeConte's were also on the edges, spending most of the
time in trampled down sections of the native grass right on
the edge.

To get to Bradford Farms, take the "AC" exit off of Highway
63 (this is the furthest south exit for Columbia).  Go east,
the road changes it name to New Haven Road.  Follow this
until it deadends at Rangeline Road (couple of miles).  Turn
right on Rangeline, and in one mile you will see the east
entrance to Bradford Farms, it is on your right hand side
(west side) of the road.

Jean Leonatti
Columbia, MO