Kristi asks:

"Do scoters generally associate closely with diving ducks (i.e. among
rafts), or are they usually found off on their own?"

Answer: Both of the above. I have seen a Surf Scoter in a raft of diving
ducks at Smithville Lake and two White-winged Scoters among scaup on Big
Lake. However, most of the scoters I have seen in Missouri and Kansas have
been by themselves or somewhat apart from other ducks.

Bob Fisher
Independence, Missouri