Smithville Lake was a disappointment this afternoon, unless you prefer quantity of individuals to variety of species. I could not find the Pacific Loon. There must have been 1000 Ruddy Ducks and hundreds of Gadwall, but there were few other species of ducks. Boaters kept these in the air much of the time. I walked the trail and did not find the Winter Wren. (Where on the rabbit warren of trails west of the dam has he been seen?) My best bird was a Rough-legged Hawk on the way, near the juncture of I-435 and M-291.

Highlights included:

 At least  44 Common Loons.
36 Bonaparte's Gulls
11 Greater Yellowlegs on the pond at the juncture of County F and County W.
1 imm. Bald Eagle
both kinglets
Myrtle and Orange-crowned Warblers
lots of White-throated Sparrows on the trail.

Bob Fisher
Independence, Missouri