Conjunctivitous is the disease you are talking about I
believe.  Dirty feeders are to blame, which contain
fecal matter, and consequently bacteria from the
matter.  This spreads by contact, and can kill a
significant number of birds.

Personally, I would simply clean the feeders once a
week, or more in times of the disease, and yes, I
would put the feeders back out.  We can still get the
disease this time of year, but careful maintenance of
your feeders will alleviate any problems you may have.
Lynn Miller
Lone Jack,MO
Jackson CO

http://webhosting.yahoo.com/