I walked the Hidden Lake Nature Area trails (below the dam) at Smithville
Lake this evening--trying to relocate a probable Winter Wren that showed
itself to me Monday knowing full well I had no binoculars to look at it with
(bad Kristi!). Only got brief glimpses of the wren, but did have a surprise
Spotted Towhee and my first Dark-eyed Juncos for the season.

Franklin's Gulls were like gnats, swirling out of the sky onto the lake.
Those guys, I'm assuming, are peaking out right now, numbering in the
10,000s. If someone had time to scope the lake behind the Litton Center
tomorrow morning I'm sure they'd have lots to sort through. When I left, the
birds were rafting up much as I found them Sunday morning (1000s of ducks and
10,000s of gulls).

Kristi Mayo
Kearney, MO (Clay Co.)