Here's a link to the Kansas City Star's first story on the mountain lion. It
was struck crossing I-35 near Parvin Road in the northland:

<A HREF="http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/news/breaking_news/4283221.htm">http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/news/breaking_news/4283221.htm</A>

This follow-up story includes the report that the mountain lion had hairs in
its intestines that resemble deer hairs:

<A HREF="http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/news/4292689.htm">http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/news/4292689.htm</A>

When I was very small, our vet told stories about losing several lambs off
his farm near Kearney over a short period of time. Then he found a large set
of tracks that would fit a big cat. There were also rumors, not too long
before or after that, of a mountian lion being seen lounging on a hay bale
near Liberty Hospital (north of Kansas City). You never know where one might
turn up... That would make birding around here a little bit more interesting,
wouldn't it?

Kristi Mayo
Kearney, MO