Jim Zellmer and I birded Montrose, Taberville and Schell Osage today, stopping a Passaic on the way home. Highlights of the day included:

4 Sharp-shinned Hawks
2 Cooper's Hawks
1 NORTHERN GOSHAWK

We saw the Goshawk, a gigantic adult female, along the gravel road on the north side of Montrose Lake a few hundred yards west of the power plant. Interestingly, J. Kelly Hobbs and I saw a Northern Goshawk at almost exactly the same location during a previous Northern Goshawk invasion in the late seventies or early eighties.

All told, we saw 92 species, including the following additional birds of interest:

11 species of duck plus Canada Goose (There were large rafts of ducks on both Montrose Lake and Schell Lake. Gadwall was the most common species. B-W Teal was near the end of its migration period, and Ruddy Duck, Redhead, L. Scaup and R-N Duck were near the beginning of theirs).

7 shorebirds, including 8 Avocets, L.B Dowitcher, Spotted, Baird's and Pectoral Sandpipers and Wilson's Snipe. (The Avocets, dowitchers, spotty and peep were on the south shore of Atkinson Lake).

11 species of sparrow plus Dark-eyed Junco and Eastern Towhee. Best sparrows were 1-2 LECONTE'S, 1 HENSLOW'S, several Vesper and 1 Lincoln's.

3 American Pipits (on a telephone wire!) at the reclaimed strip mines south of Montrose.

1 adult Bald Eagle at Schell

1 Y-B Sapsucker at Montrose

3 Great Egrets at Schell and 1 CATTLE EGRET with cattle along M-71.

15 Eurasian Collared Doves near the grain elevators at Passaic.

We saw a few, but very few, Yellow-rumped Warblers and 1 Orange-crowned Wabler.

Of special interest to both of us were two gray-phased Brown Creepers and a male Golden-crowned  Kinglet with a striking orange crown.

We made an unsuccessful effort to find a Sprague's Pipit at Taberville. (There were cows in the usual field south of Montrose, so we did not walk it. We covered less than 1% of Taberville Prairie looking for Sprague's Pipits, so they are probably there somewhere).

Somehow, we missed seeing a grackle all day.

Bob Fisher
Independence, Missouri