It is my understanding that the listserv exists pursuant to a contract with
the University of Missouri, which defines its permissable purposes and
scope. Susan Hazelwood knows the contract language better than we do and is
interpreting it to limit the discussion narrowly to birds. From time to
time, some of us (In this case, I am the initiating culprit) assume it is OK
to discuss general Natural History topics, such as mountain lions. Some even
range farther afield than I have.

At the bottom line, Susan knows better than we do what it will take to keep
the University of Missouri happy. When Susan or Chris Snook advises us that
we are getting out of line, we need to fall back into line, whether or not
we think the scope of the listserv could reasonably be more broad. I, for
one, am grateful to both of them for the privilege of  being a part of the
listserv, and for the time they spend making it available to us, and I don't
get upset  when I am asked to return to the reservation after having strayed
from it.

Bob Fisher
Independence, Missouri