Today (Friday) at the Bean Lake cabin we had a 'fall out' of yellow rumped
warblers, so many in close-by red cedar trees there was no counting them.
We have 5 bird baths in sight of the glassed-in porch and they "had a
bathing good time" in all of them. Looked closely for other warblers (in
between trying to get some inside work done), but only had 1 ruby crowned
kinglet as a bonus there.
Other yard birds included: cardinals, bluejays, house finches, chickadees,
many gold finches, red-belly and downy woodpeckers, white breasted nuthatch,
robins, e. bluebirds, ys flickers, morning doves.
But the best of all was 1 BROWN THRASHER proudly walking through the yard,
under the feeders, then moving on.
(I thought this was a litle late for it, in this NW area (?) is it? )
Lots of juncos on the gravel road into the cabin last evening and 25-30
crows at water's edge along the drive to the marsh. A few ducks too distant
to id.
Also heard a pheasant calling in late evening yesterday, first in a long time.
Because of the lack of rainfall we no longer have any water in front of our
cabin and this will have a great effect on what birds we will have during
the winter. Bean Lake as a whole is drastically low, as are most of the
ox-bows in the NW Missouri area. Hope rains come soon.
On arriving home in St. Joseph this PM had a backyard full of
juncos...winter must be on the way.

Good birding to all.
Frances Cramer
Bean Lake (Platte CO.)