I went to St. Joseph yesterday for the annual coaches
clinic regarding the state Envirothon competition.  I
purposely arrived early to go birding.

The MDC office is on the MO Western campus, with a
nice creek in a hollow running through it.  To make a
long story short, I was able to go birding!!

My small but decent list included two firsts for the
year for me.

Brown Creeper (1)
Ruby-crowned Kinglet (3), with one about five feet
away checking ME out
Black-throated Green Warbler (1)
Yellow-rumped (Myrtles) Warbler (>24)
White-crowned Sparrows (including juvi's, >15)
Swamp Sparrow (3)
Song Sparrow (5)
And, the usuals, with two Red-tails in tow as I walked
the trail down from the office.

Thanks for listening, and we had flakes of snow in the
air as it rained.  I heard that Maryville had some
even stick.

Lynn Miller
Lone Jack,MO
Jackson CO