A Kelly Registration Systems website  says the following of American Lotus:
American Lotus (preemergence) is a 'pest' (an unwanted organism) that can be controlled through the use of pesticides. You can find products to control American Lotus (preemergence) by searching on http://www.kellysolutions.com.

Pesticides, such as products to control American Lotus (preemergence), are regulated by State Departments of Agriculture.

Specifically, to find products registered in Missouri (MO) to control American Lotus (preemergence), the Kelly Registration website gives the following link: www.kellysolutions.com/MO

Elsewhere, I found information that American Lotus can be controlled by flooding and by cutting the leaves early. (However, American Lotus grows in water up to six feet deep).

Query No. 1: If American lotus is a pest and can be controlled, why do Squaw Creek and Swan Lake have so much of it?

(Guess Number 1: They see their primary mission as refuges for waterfowl after frost has suppressed American Lotus for the winter and do not want to expend scarce dollars controlling American Lotus in the summer.

Guess Number 2: American Lotus, though a "pest" for fishing ponds, is not considered a "pest" at Swan Lake and Squaw Creeek because it not detrimental to species, like Wood Ducks, that they are happy to propagate in summer).

Query No. 2: Should birders be for it or against it at places like Squaw Creek and Swan Lake?

(Bill Eddleman describes it as " pretty much lousy habitat for birds, including the marsh species." But what would take its place if it were controlled? I doubt that open water would be better for breeding birds. Having seen what the cattails did to Cheyenne Bottoms, I'm not for them either!).

Bob Fisher
Independence, Missouri