I walked out of my house at dusk yesterday and was treated to the sight of
about 150 chimney swifts swirling out of the unused chimney on my house.  My
house is about 90 years old and has two chimneys--one of which hasn't been
used in many years.  I know they nest in there every year and sometimes one
manages to escape into the house and scare the beejabbers out of our
22-pound cat.  I would pay admission if the show wasn't free!  We just catch
the bird in a towel and put it back outside.  It just seems a little late
for them to still be around--they are usually gone by the first of October.
(They never bother the chimney that is in use--maybe because we have it
cleaned every year so they find no traces of their old nests.)

Dorothy Lambert
Nevada, Vernon County