Our weekly field trip was to an area in Springfield called South Creek,
which is one of our conservation projects for preserving habitat not only
for birds but also for native plants and animals that live inside the area
located at the corner of National and Sunset streets and goes west for one
mile.

Here is the list of 38 species seen by our 6 observers.

1 Great Blue Heron
1 Red-tailed hawk
1 Killdeer
2 Mourning Doves
5 Downey Woodpeckers
2 Northern Flickers
3 Eastern Pheobe
1 Blue-headed Vireo
21 Blue Jays
4 American Crows
4 Carolina Chickadees
3 Carolina Wrens
2 Bewicks Wrens
1 House Wren
5 Ruby-crowned Kinglets
2 Hemit Thrushes
3 American Robins
6 Gray Catbirds
2 Northern Mockingbirds
5 European Starlings
2 Tennessee Warblers
4 Yellow-rumped Warblers
4 Common Yellowthroats
4 Eastern Towhees
5 Chipping Sparrows
1 Field Sparrow
10 Song Sparrows
3 Lincolns Sparrows
1 Swamp Sparrow
10 White-throated Sparrows
3 White-crowned Sparrows
1 Dark eyed Junco
21 Northern Cardinals
2 Rose-breasted Grosbeaks
2 Indigo Buntings
9 Red-winged Blackbirds
4 Common Grackles
2 American Goldfinch

We still had our Ruby-throated Hummingbird as of noon on Oct 13.

Kay Johnson
Greene County
Springfield Mo