     Spent a pleasant cupla hours Monday, 10/7, at Tower Grove Park in St.
Louis. First hour mostly sat on the bench at the bubbler in the Gaddy Bird
Garden. Had foloing birds in the garden:

BLUE JAY
NORTHERN CARDINAL
NORTHERN FLICKER
YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER
WOOD THRUSH
OVENBIRD
HOUSE WREN
WHITE-THROATED SPARROW
SCARLET TANAGER (female)
GREY CATBIRD
AMERICAN CROW
CAROLINA CHICKADEE
BLUE-HEADED VIREO
AMERICAN ROBIN
RUFOUS-SIDED TOWHEE

     At the Jack Van Benthuysen Memorial Pond, I got to watch a COOPER'S
HAWK for several minutes. It seemed to be investigating one of those big
platforms of dead branches in one of the cypress trees. After the COOPER'S
HAWK finally flew away, I could see some small warbler-type migrants moving
high in the cypress trees, but couldn't get any good IDs on them.
     The Cypress Circle was swarming with warblers from about 4 p.m. to 5
p.m. There were literally hundreds of them there; my head was on a swivel
just trying to keep track of them all. It seemed that 90 percent to 95
percent of them were YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLERS. I managed to also pick out a
few BLACK-THROATED GREEN and NASHVILLE WARBLERS. Other birds seen there
included:
WHITE-BREASTED NUTHATCH
YELLOW-BILLED CUCKOO
BROWN THRASHER
YELLOW-BELLIED FLYCATCHER
EASTERN PHOEBE

Steve Whitworth, Glen Carbon, Madison County, IL