  From: INGELBIEN RAPHAEL
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Saturday, October 26, 2002 5:52 PM
  Subject: Re: TWL epigraph

  From: Jennifer Formichelli

  > Yes, Eliot did read the Satyricon. He owned a 1904 Bucheler, the best scholarly text, and he studied it at > Harvard. His annotated copy is in King's College Library.

  Is my memory failing me, or weren't there two versions of the Satyricon? One would have been available in scholarly editions like the one you mention, the other one was a more explicit, licentious version, which was also a kind of underground classic circulated among decadents.
  I remember a thread about the Satyricon some years ago - the late Pat Sloane seemed quite knowledgeable about it. If the archives are still up...

  Yours,

  RaphaŽl Ingelbien