Ehm, sorry for the way I wrote those indirect interrogatives. It should have been "which the token is". Haste is not good for my writing.

The paradox with the identifying clause is right that they're identifying (and it's too easy to just stop there) -- but you can analyse the identity. Actually, a double identity does not imply that the subject changes just because the words have been switched. The identifier may remain the same. Does Beauty represent Truth or vice versa? Which comes first? This is (maybe) what Eliot couldn't clearly state. Nor can we now, actually.

Sara