From: Nancy Gish [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 2:03 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Jauch's itch or its vs it's

The problem is rampant but not universal.  I do not let my students get
graded on papers with grammatical errors.  That means I have to require
revision and teach them primary school material.  But they do leave
knowing something about syntax and style.

I'm saying this because I do believe that the collapse of instruction has
produced many writers whose available skills are so constricted that they
cannot write complex or rich prose.  I do wish everyone would require it
again.

Nancy